Whether you’re doing CrossFit, LIVESTRONG.COM’s 8-Week STRONGER Challenge fitness program or some other workout program to get in shape, remember that it’s not just the numbers on the scale that you’ll want to track.
Your “before” and “after” photos and measurements can be a better way to really see your progress and accomplishments along the way toward reaching your goal.
I’ve “Walked the Talk” and Have the Photos to Prove It
In the summer of 2012, I was in a two-month Beachbody fitness program test group and I lost 20 pounds in 60 days. While I didn’t love taking my “before” photos, they did help to motivate me through the program, and they served to visually document the story of my fitness achievement.
5 Tips for the Perfect “Before” Photo
1. Guys should take pics wearing shorts or a swimsuit without a shirt, while women should wear a bikini or fitted gym shorts and a sports bra. It’s important to see your stomach, so don’t suck that tummy in! You may see your most pronounced changes in that area.
2. Get a friend to help you take the photos or use a tripod or the auto-timer on your camera. A friend will be most helpful to get your body centered in the frame, especially for photos taken from the back.
3. Stand in front of a blank, plain-colored wall, with as little distraction or clutter behind you as possible. You’re the star of the show here!
4. Take multiple photos. Take at least one from the front, back and side. If you want to, you can even flex or pose for one or two additional ones.
5. Remember to take your photos regularly in those same positions (and even same clothing): on day one, day 15, day 30, day 60, and so on. That way it’s easier to see exactly how your body has changed.